For the very first time in APOGEE’10, the ASME-BITS-Pilani Student Section presents to you a bigger, better and nastier event than ever before.
Think you have it in you to build an engineering spectacle using multiple energy conversion methods and exciting steps to accomplish multiple goals? Then gear up for Contraptions wherein you will be judged on your innovation, creativity, compactness and of course craziness!
The challenge is set. You have to build a contraption cum burglar alarm which includes three goals based on this theme. The goals have to be completed in order but can be completed at any stage of the contraption, apart from the third goal which has to be the end of your contraption.
Goal 1 - Lighting of a bulb. (The bulb should not be less than 60W.)
Goal 2 - Triggering of an alarm bell. (You can use a cycle bell electric bell or even a triangle
the bell should be loud enough (upto the discretion of judges) and should ring for atleast 10 sec)
Goal 3 –Throwing of a stone on a cardboard human figure(5 ft) from a distance of 3ft
Contraptions will be conducted in two stages.
The first stage is comprises of Abstract submission.
Teams selected on the basis of abstracts will be invited for the final round to be held during APOGEE.
Individual contraptions will be provided with 8feet * 8 feet * 8 feet area for display.
1. The number of steps utilized to complete all the goals must be between 10(ten) to 25(twenty-five).
2. The last step of the contraption must be the ‘Throwing of an object’. Steps after this will not be considered for judging.
3. Each Team will be given 2(two) trials to show their working arrangement. Final points will be the average of both the attempts. The 2nd trial will be optional.
4. A setup time of 30 minutes will be given before each trial. In addition to this, a setup time of 120 minutes will be given to every team before their first attempt.
5. The working time of the contraption should not be more than 5 minutes. Points will be deducted on exceeding the time limit.
6. Steps of different energy profiles can be used to drive the contraption. Please check the judging criteria for Scoring System for various energies.
7. Once initiated, only 3(three) manual interventions are allowed for both attempts individually. Marks will be deducted for each intervention.
7. A team can have a maximum of 6 participants.
8. All teams should bring 3 copies of properly printed write-ups of their contraption clearly mentioning the number of steps, description of each step and energy conversion involved.
9. The teams are allowed to skip maximum of three steps or skip to the next module in an intervention in any Trial.
10. No alteration in contraption of any kind is allowed at any point of time.
11. The organizers will provide the following at the venue:
a. Extension cords
b. 230 V AC supply
12. If you need anything else, mention it in your abstract and we’ll tell you if it that can be provided by us or not
13 .Judge's decision shall be final and binding to all.
1. Bonus points will be awarded on achievement of the three theme based goals
Bonus points scoring criteria:
8th-12th step 13th-19th step 20-25th step
1st goal 15 25 35
2nd goal 20 30 45
3rd goal 30 45 65
2. Energy conversion scoring criteria
Mechanical – 8 points
Chemical- 9 points
Electrical or electronic – 9 points
Sound / vibration – 10 points
Light – 10 points
Magnetic – 10 points
3. Aesthetics, innovation, parallel steps used and neatness- MAXIMUM 100 POINTS
It will be totally at the discretion of the judges.
Human interventions – MINUS 15 for each
Exceeding time limit – MINUS 5 for EVERY 5 seconds. At each 5th second 5 points will be deducted.
Organizers can deduct points for exceeding the maximum number of steps and space.
The format of abstract submission
Team Leader’s name:
Brief write-up (approx. 100 words):
• Name the .doc file as “CP_Team name.doc” (example: CP_1001.doc).
• Mail to : email@example.com latest by 20th Feb,2010
• Support your write up with appropriate images/diagrams of your contraption. Note that even photos of incomplete contraption may be added in the abstract.
For help refer to the following sources
+ 91 9950676563
- Paper Presentation
- Poster Presentation
- Project Presentation
- Code & Simulate
- Develop & Discover
- Online Events
- Guest Lectures
- Samsung Events
- TMH IQ Championship