Junkyard Wars was first inspired by the TV series “Apollo 13”, in which astronauts had to carry out in-mission repairs using only the available materials. Here, we attempt to put you in the same position and test your improvisation and creative skills. The participant teams are given access to a junkyard and the facilities of the workshop, and are required to build a machine in a given amount of time. However, this event also requires a sound understanding of basic theoretical principles of mechanical engineering. As such, the competition involves 3 rounds:
Round 1: The 1st round is a written round which tests the theoretical understanding of the participants about the basics of mechanical engineering. 8 teams will be selected for the 2nd round.
Round 2: The second round is a thought oriented round. The participants will be taken around the junkyard to see for themselves the materials they will have to work with. Then, they are given a problem statement. Based on what they have seen, they will have to think of a good design and describe how they will go around building it.
Round 3: The third round, which is also the final, will see the teams given 2 days to build the design to the final problem statement. They will also be given some time on the 3rd day for finishing touches.(Note: the final problem statement is not the same as the statement in the 2nd round. It is a separate problem altogether.)
Complete access to the junkyard and the BITS Workshop for building purposes will be given. The testing of the machines will take place on the final day. The winner will be decided based on the performance of each machine. The coordinators and BITS Workshop staff will be present to operate all the machines, for your own safety.
• Teams are required to register at the APOGEE site online. Based on participation, a few teams may also be allowed to register on the spot.
• Each team can consist of up to a maximum of 4 members.
• Teams cannot be changed between rounds.
• It is recommended that you keep the physical exertion of the final round in mind while choosing your team mates.
• All the tools required will be supplied by the organizers.
• Participants need to have a basic idea about Workshop safety and operational precautions.
Phone: +91 99833-70607
- Paper Presentation
- Poster Presentation
- Project Presentation
- Code & Simulate
- Develop & Discover
- Online Events
- Guest Lectures
- Samsung Events
- TMH IQ Championship